Note from Andrea: while I’m swamped with adoption stuff, my friend and sometime co-author Cindy Koepp offered to share some recipes with you. Enjoy!
Quico Piedra, the star of “Hard Knocks” and Joya’s bratty cousin in “Jewel Among the Stones,”* loves chili rellenos. Here’s a recipe for them…
*episodes from Avatars of Web Surfer
Big, fat peppers (Anaheim, for example)
Cheese (queso asadero or cheddar or monterrey Jack or … whichever you like)
¾ cup flour … plus a bit more
1 tsp baking powder
Sour cream or salsa, if desired
Oil for frying
- Roast the peppers in a broiler, turning a couple times until they’re blackened all around.
- Put them in a covered container to cool off
- Meanwhile, mix eggs, flour, and baking powder to make dough. (some recipes have you add spices to the dough like cumin, cilantro, etc)
- Once the peppers are cool, rub off the charred skin
- Slit the peppers and remove the seeds and membranes
- Stuff the peppers with the cheese
- Pin them closed with toothpicks
- Dunk them in the batter then dredge them through the extra flour
- Fry them in the oil until they’re brown all around
- Serve with salsa and/or sour cream if you want.
If, however, you are like my folks who can’t do deep fried anything, you can also do this much simpler version, much more like jalapeño poppers.
Jalapeños (or other peppers)
Cheese (any kind you like)
Sour cream or salsa
- Slice the jalapeños in half and remove the seeds and membranes
- Load with cheese
- Bake in the oven for 20 minutes at 350
- Serve with sour cream or salsa
[tweetthis]Chili Rellenos #recipe (Contains Dairy and Gluten) from Cindy Koepp @CCKoepp [/tweetthis]